Sunday, June 9, 2013

Disney with a splash of Feminism!

Photo



panfans: Redheaded Club [x]













panfans:

Redheaded Club [x]

waltdisneyconfessions: "I don't see why many feminists don't...



waltdisneyconfessions:

"I don't see why many feminists don't think Merida was a good role model. I'm a women studies major and there are so many positive outlooks and ideals that she represents."

What feminists have you been talking to? Most feminists like Merida and think she is a good role model. I've yet to meet a feminist who didn't like Merida. She is the only princess most feminists like…

fancysomedisneymagic: DISNEY FUN FACT: This moment of animation...



fancysomedisneymagic:

DISNEY FUN FACT: This moment of animation is responsible for the Partners statue, the only time Mickey was ever put to scale with a grown adult, so this is what was used for scale when it came to putting Mickey next to Walt!

My whole fucking plan to pay for this year out of pocket failed thanks to my fucking school.

Each credit hour went up by close to $80. That fucking adds up when I have to take 3 credits this semester and 6 next spring. I am hopefully going to be able to pay for the spring out of pocket. I wouldn’t be able to pay for fall out of pocket unless I worked full time and didn’t spend money on anything but tuition. I really did not want to take out anymore student loans because those little fuckers scare me to death.

image

godofmischiefmanaged: lionxvx: howtobeterrell: callherhoney: ...



godofmischiefmanaged:

lionxvx:

howtobeterrell:

callherhoney:

phresh-outta-runway:

Queen.

Keyword: Forced.

image

"Beyonce's not a feminist" 

"bad role model for young girls" 

please tell me your joking? ^^^

They were quoting what many white feminists have said about Beyonce.

lionxvx: howtobeterrell: callherhoney: phresh-outta-runway: Q...



lionxvx:

howtobeterrell:

callherhoney:

phresh-outta-runway:

Queen.

Keyword: Forced.

image

"Beyonce's not a feminist" 

"bad role model for young girls" 

Photo







the reason I am working at Staples is...

because I know I wont blow my paycheck on anything in that store. I just don’t shop there. I can find things cheaper at the Target next door and buy all the other shit I need at the same time.

fyeahwomenartists: momalibrary: The Riot Grrl Collection is...









fyeahwomenartists:

momalibrary:

The Riot Grrl Collection is hot off the press and in the library collection. -ls

Excited to learn about The Feminist Press today -  go check our their Tumblr page for more info about their recent happenings, reviews and more info about their awesome books. 

I almost did my undergrad thesis on the RIOT Grrl movement. I must have this book.

yourland: Summer at Disneyland, 1986 things that should never...



yourland:

Summer at Disneyland, 1986

things that should never be remembered… the 1980s…

skeptikhaleesi replied to your photo: Does anyone know if this is currently at hottopic?… ...

Have you searched their website? There's lots of stuff there that isn't available in certain stores. :) They have a really cute pair of Little Mermaid leggings, too.

The wallet isn’t on their website yet. Hottopic is supposed to be releasing more Little Mermaid merch later in the summer. Apparently they just want all my money!

Ariel Sephora Collection. Released online in June and in stores...















Ariel Sephora Collection. Released online in June and in stores in September.

Prices:

Large eyeshadow- $55 USD
Compact- $20 USD
Small eyeshadow- $30 USD
Lip Gloss- $46 CAD
Nail Polish- $24.50 USD
Perfume Bottle- $58 USD
Roll on Perfume- $19 USD

Photo





I Regret The Day I Let My Daughter Watch €˜The Little Mermaid

I Regret The Day I Let My Daughter Watch €˜The Little Mermaid:

I wont lie, I laughed and rolled my eyes at the same time. When I was 2, I was exactly like her daughter. Ariel was my favorite princess and I am sure my parents regretted ever letting me watch the movie. My aunt let me borrow her daughters copy of the vhs and my parents had to buy me my own because I watched it so much. I pretended I was a mermaid and went on adventures like Ariel. My cousin (second cousin? She's my dads cousin) has a pool and I would pretend I was Ariel swimming around in it. I had Ariel dolls, clothes, jewelry, stuffed animals, plastic figurines, and anything else Disney plastered Ariels face on. I'm honestly amazed I didn't wear out the tape because of how much I watched it.

I never really out grew Ariel, though. I watched Little Mermaid less when I got into different things. I didn't act out the movie once I hit the age of like 7. However, Ariel always held a special place in my heart. By the time I was 8, I was really into the American girl and Magic Attic Club dolls/books. I also became really interested in the Dear America Books around 5th grade. I also became obsessed with horses in elementary school. I also loved animals. To this day, my parents probably wish I hated them. I used to ride horses in middle-high school, which was one expensive hobby. We now also have a cat, which my parents are less than thrilled about. To this day, I still love Ariel. She is one of my favorite fictional characters and the movie still brings back fond memories. I remember many of the times I acted out the movie.

But regardless of all that, The Little Mermaid was my escape. I wasn't the most popular kid. I was a loaner. I had a handful of friends growing up. I usually had 3-4 at any given time. I spent the majority of my day by myself whether it was in class, at lunch or recess. I always knew I could put on the little mermaid tape when I was feeling lonely. When Little Mermaid II came out, I could relate to Melody. I was an outsider and I was drawn to the movie. Watching it again years later, I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. It was truly horrible but I didn't care when it came out. I could relate to both Ariel and Melody growing up because I was an outsider.

However, my love of Ariel did not prevent me from exploring different things and it didn't teach me that I needed to marry a prince to be happy. I am a happy single 22 year old queer woman. I'm not looking for my Prince Eric to make me happy. I don't plan on selling my voice to Ursula any time soon. What I did take away from Ariel was I had to fight for what I wanted. I probably can thank Ariel for making me a dreamer and having my head in the clouds. Maybe I should listen to Sebastian and get my head back in the water where it belongs. However, I got that Ariel would do anything to achieve her dream which she did. While I don't quote the movie (minus some lines from Poor Unfortunate Souls) anymore, I still have them all memorized. I still listen to "Part of Your World" at least once a week. It's currently my most played song on my itunes.

Long story short, no 2 year old is going to be scared for life by parroting the Little Mermaid and loving it. If that was the case, I would not be in grad school getting my masters in history and pretty happy with my life. I may have other career aspirations than working at one of the museums in Walt Disney World or working for the Walt Disney Museum but hey, we all have to follow our dreams right? That is what Ariel taught us after all.

heckyeahdisneymerch: Preview video of the Ariel Sephora...



heckyeahdisneymerch:

Preview video of the Ariel Sephora collection! OH MY GOSH. That eye shadow is a legit NEED, and probably the perfume and the mirror. P.S. Guys, it's my birthday in one month, /wink wink.

Coming soon to Sephora online and stores in August!

Will be saving up for at least the compact and nail polish. This is so pretty!

Does anyone know if this is currently at hottopic? Cause I want...



Does anyone know if this is currently at hottopic? Cause I want it.

olivepaintsalot: apathy-acres: tyleroakley: "What Old People...



olivepaintsalot:

apathy-acres:

tyleroakley:

"What Old People Think About Gay Sex"

"How do you identify?"

"Old"  

I've never hit reblog so fast in my life. 

Always reblog!

This is the best!

fyarielanderic: Can we just stop and appreciate the fact that...





fyarielanderic:

Can we just stop and appreciate the fact that Eric is wearing a cravat

ourdisneydays: Prince Eric and Ariel on Flickr.



ourdisneydays:

Prince Eric and Ariel on Flickr.

No comments:

Post a Comment